Friday, November 21, 2008

Beauty? ...or Beauty?

(I'm making a little room on the Sofa for my beautiful wife, Fiona. She was invited to speak at a women's breakfast in Drummoyne... so I'm going to shuffle off the Sofa for a couple of minutes. Fiona's turn, now.)

I rediscovered something recently – I wonder if you can guess what it is?
Like an Amex card, some of us won’t leave home without it...
Some of us bring it out for special occasions only...
Sometimes we play it down, sometimes we want it bold and dramatic...
We use it to define and enhance. And sometimes we may even use it as a mask, something to hide behind...
Has anyone guessed?
MAKEUP!!!
Oooh, I’ve been having fun – trying colours and different looks, buying tools of the trade, learning how to apply it. Do I want a quick 5 minute job? Or do I want the full-face 30 minute, knock-your-socks-off, drop-dead gorgeous look?

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So when I behold myself in the mirror do I see myself as beautiful?
There are days when I look in the mirror and think, ‘You look a bit of alright today’. I can put on my Sunday best and do my makeup, look at myself and I feel perked up. Yep, even beautiful.

Beauty attracts. We’re drawn to beautiful things: a beautiful landscape can move us, the rose in our garden cries out for us to smell and touch it. The vast night sky makes us stare in wonder…
God’s not silly, he knows what we’re like – he created us, after all. He knows we’ll be attracted by the beauty he created so that, in that attraction, we may question… Who is it that could masterfully piece together our beautiful earth in the midst of this universe? Who is the Source of beauty?
And yet, the Bible says that this earthly beauty is fleeting and will vanish like smoke (Psalm 37:20)
So the nature of aesthetic beauty is to fade, to disappear. I guess we know this in our society, and that’s why all manner of beauty treatments, fitness classes, diets and cosmetic surgeries are popular. We want our aesthetic beauty to last.

My Gran used to say before she went out, “I’ll just go and put on a bit of face.” I loved watching her apply her powder compact over her web of laughter lines, pursing her lips into perfect pinkness and yet, even had she no makeup on, I still considered her beautiful.
So what defined her beauty in my eyes? It was who she was, what she stood for, the words, the gestures, the laughter, the fun, her honesty – her spirit.

You know, I was hard pressed looking for other illustrations of beauty this week.
This week I certainly did not feel beautiful. We all suffered from a virus. I felt more like a sweaty, wrung-out dishrag than beautiful. And the icing on that cake was getting my periods. So you can imagine how beautiful I was feeling.
Did I look beautiful sitting there covered in the vomit of my 18 month old with my unwashed hair and unbrushed teeth?
Did I sound beautiful when I yelled at my husband that he cared more for others than he did for me, even though he had patted me mid-vomit then flushed the evidence away?
My husband has been beautiful this week…
In the middle of his yearly exams, in his first year of theological college, feeling under the weather himself… he’s cleaned up after 2 sick kids and his wife, organised a 3rd child, went shopping, got dinner, bought lucozade and lemonade, cleaned the kitchen and held his tongue when I haven’t held mine.
He showed his beautiful spirit.

My husband is studying Greek as part of his course. In the Greek there are two meanings for beauty. One is aesthetic beauty. The other is ethical beauty. We know what aesthetic beauty looks like.

So... what does ethical beauty look like?

That which is good, right, proper.
That which is fitting, better, honourable.
That which is honest, fine, precious….beautiful.
This is the beauty I saw reflected in my Grandma and my husband. The beauty reflected in their choices, their behaviours, their character.
So what does the Bible say to women about ethical beauty?
‘Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewellery and fine clothes. Instead it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.’
(1Peter 3:3,4 NIV)
So what is this unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit? What does it look like?

A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.
She is like the merchant ships, bringing food from afar.
She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.
She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
“Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.”
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate. (Proverbs 31:10-31)

A virtuous woman. A woman of strength. She’s certainly industrious. Efficient. Organised. Busy. Yet, in the midst of her busyness…
She’s wise, faithful, nurturing. Her husband trusts her.
Her children openly praise her. She reaches out to those in need.
She’s wise in investing in her family’s future. She’s dignified in how she conducts herself.
She’s outwardly beautiful and inwardly beautiful.
So, what’s the key to her success?

She first fears, gives reverence to, God. He’s her Lord, her Boss. She recognises her Creator and places him above all things because she’s wise enough to understand that he has made all things and knows all things and that he just might know how to help her.

The other thing that happens when we put God first is he gives us his Spirit, so we can actually reflect his character.

The Bible says the fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. (Galatians 5:21-23)

Are they good, right, proper, fitting, better, honourable, honest, fine, precious?
Are they beautiful?

Jesus was involved in a bold act perpetrated by a beautiful woman. This woman was an outcast, a sinner. Yet she had heard the Good News – her sins could be forgiven.
Attending to him in humility and thankfulness she approaches Jesus.
In a profound act of beauty she breaks open an alabaster jar of very expensive imported perfume. Perhaps her only possession of worth. It contains enough for one application only. Yet she chooses to pour the perfume on Jesus’ head. Anointing him, blessing him, thanking him for setting her free.
Now some folks there tried to put her down but Jesus – he stands up for her. Listen to what he says.
“Leave her alone. Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me. She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare me for burial. I tell you the truth, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told in memory of her.” (Mark 14:6-9)
Her good act... her fitting act... her honourable act... her precious act... her beautiful act is honoured now and forever by Jesus. He sees her beautiful act, compelled by the unfading beauty of her gentle and quiet spirit. And she is given GREAT worth by God. She’s remembered, she’s forgiven, she’s loved.

The Bible says, “For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1Sam 16:7)
So if God looks at your heart, my heart, what does he see?
Does he see a beautiful woman, trusting him, relying on his Spirit to change us daily to become a beautiful reflection of him?

And if those around you look at you what do they see?
A beautiful woman, styled hair, great shoes and your face on?
Or do they see someone wise, trustworthy, generous, kind, patient, good, faithful, gentle, honourable...
A woman of beauty?


Let me pray.

Father in Heaven,
Thank you for the beauty of your creation. Thank you that we – the women gathered here - are part of that beauty.
Lord, you know our hearts, restore them to beauty. Let us not rely on our outward beauty but prompt us to seek You and all that You consider beautiful.
Thank you for the beautiful gift of your Son Jesus that we might find forgiveness and restoration with You.
Renew Your Spirit within us that we may exhibit the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit.
For those who don’t know you Lord but want to know more about you, gently guide them in love and understanding to your Truth.
Bless us all now as we spend time together and share our beauty with each other.

We ask in Jesus name,
Amen.

No comments: